June 23, 2013

Tablet from 'Abdu'l-Baha: O my Lord! I have drawn nigh unto Thee...

From: Insights from Baha'i Prayers
O my Lord! I have drawn nigh unto Thee, in the depths of this darksome night, confiding in Thee with the tongue of my heart, trembling with joy at the sweet scents that blow from Thy realm, the All-Glorious, calling unto Thee, saying:

O my Lord, no words do I find to glorify Thee; no way do I see for the bird of my mind to soar upward to Thy Kingdom of Holiness; for Thou, in Thy very essence, art sanctified above those tributes, and in Thy very being art beyond the reach of those praises which are offered Thee by the people that Thou hast created. In the sanctity of Thine own being hast Thou ever been exalted above the understanding of the learned among the Company on high, and forever wilt Thou remain enwrapped within the holiness of Thine own reality, unreached by the knowledge of those dwellers in Thine exalted Kingdom who glorify Thy Name.

O God, my God! How can I glorify or describe Thee inaccessible as Thou art; immeasurably high and sanctified art Thou above every description and praise... ('Abdu'l-Baha)

Some reflections and insights …

A. The incredibly exalted station of God
  • No “words” can a human being attempt to “find” to “glorify” God;
  • No way can the “bird” of a human being’s “mind” “soar upward” to God’s “Kingdom of Holiness”;
  • God, in His “very essence” is “sanctified” above any “tributes” offered by human beings;
  • God, in His “very being” is “beyond the reach of those praises which are offered” Him “by the people” that He has created.
  • God, in “the sanctity” of His “own being” has “ever been exalted above the understanding of the learned among the Company on high”;
  • God, will “forever” “remain enwrapped within the holiness” of His “own reality, unreached by the knowledge of those dwellers” in His “exalted Kingdom who glorify” His “Name”.
  • Knowing how “inaccessible” and “sanctified” God is “above every description and praise”, how then can a human being ever “glorify” or “describe” Him?
Read more...